Shy is hiding inside this book.
Shy loves birds. He'd love to watch them fly and hear them sing, but he's only ever read about them in books. . . until a real bird comes along. He's dying to meet her, but there's just one problem: Shy is, well, shy — so shy, in fact, that he's afraid to leave the gutter of the book. Can Shy overcome his fears and venture out onto the page?
This sweetly relatable picture book from the acclaimed Deborah Freedman speaks to every child who's ever felt like hiding instead of facing the daunting world.
SHY, Viking Children's Books, Fall 2016
★ "Freedman’s fine pencil lines, graceful animals, superb compositions, and spare text are virtuosic... An exquisite treasure for bashful readers, animal lovers, and anyone who’s ever wanted a friend."
– Kirkus Reviews, starred review
★ "This is a precious story that every child should hear... This tender story about overcoming one's shyness and making friends has the most delicate illustrations [which will] draw the reader in and make one want to visit Shy the [spoiler!] and Florence the bird every night before bed."
– School Library Connections, starred review
"New friends, whether shy or not, will enjoy watching this friendship blossom."
– The Horn Book
"The spare text works in lovely concert with the soft, muted illustrations... they evoke a sense of joy and wonder... The subtle beauty of the art invites multiple readings. This warm, gentle meditation on overcoming fears and making new friends is suitable for a cozy read-aloud and quiet one-on-one enjoyment."
– School Library Journal
"Expansive washes of blue and yellow, orange and green, laid over sparse and delicate drawings, lends this picture book a calm, dreamy appeal that lets the story of Shy, a [spoiler!], shine... Timid children will find this tale... appealing and even inspiring."
"Freedman gently suggests that love can push us to be braver than we’ve ever been."
– Publishers Weekly
- Bookish — "This Week's Hottest Releases"
- Brightly — "24 Fantastic Picture Books to Read This Fall"
- Best Picture Books of 2016 Thus Far — "even the not-so-shy kids get a kick out of this one..." — Fuse 8, School Library Journal
Huffington Post — First Half Recap Of 2016 Picture Books
- Penuin Sneak Peek for Fall 2016 — "The Six You Can't Miss"
- Fall 2016 Picture Book Art Preview — Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast
- Many, many thanks to all of the schools, libraries, and bookstores that included Shy in their "Mock Caldecott" awards!