Because who doesn’t need a little heart?
On this first day of winter, wishing all peace for the coming year!
I am interviewed by friend and writer Faith Hough, in which we talk about telepathy, ice cream, and a few other things: you can read our chat on her blog, Writing "in the cracks of the day."
Illustration from By Mouse & Frog, Viking, ©Deborah Freedman 2015
BY MOUSE & FROG, April 2015, Viking Children's Books
© Deborah Freedman
I'm proud to be a member of the Nerdy Book Club. You may be a member too, and not even know it...
To see the rest of this banner and its band of readers, head on over to the club's brand-new site! I'm truly honored that my artwork now greets the enthusiastic, generous, and openhearted readers who congregate there.
© Deborah Freedman 2014
Picturebook authors get the best snail-mail. A huge thank you to all who send it!
Snail and I are hitting the road, slowly, with our book, The Story of Fish and Snail. Hope to see some of you! Here's where we'll be:
- Friday, October 4, 2013, Books-a-Million, Reading and book signing, 4:00 pm, Corinth, MS
- Saturday, October 5, 2013, Square Books Jr, Storytime and book signing, 10:00 am, Oxford, MS
- Thursday, October 10, 2013, R J Julia Booksellers, Storytime and book signing, 10:30 am, Madison, CT
- Sunday, November 2, 2013, "Inside Story", 1:00—3:00 pm, Odyssey Bookshop, South Hadley, MA
- Saturday, November 9, 2013, Children's Book Festival, 11:00 am—4:00 pm, Pequot Library, Southport, CT
- Friday, November 15, 2013, AASL National Conference, Signing, 1:00—2:00 pm, Hartford, CT
- Saturday, December 7, 2013, Byrd's Books, Storytime and book signing, 2:00 pm, Bethel, CT
- Saturday, December 21, 2013, Eric Carle Museum, Storytime and book signing, 2:00 pm, Amherst, MA
September 15 is International Dot Day, when over 1 million teachers and students, inspired by Peter H. Reynolds' book The Dot, plan to celebrate "teaching and learning with creativity". This is my mark — see others by some of your favorite authors and illustrators here, at "Celebri-dots".
Suggested Reading, Picture Books About Art and Imagination: Flyaway Katie by Polly Dunbar, The Paper Princess by Elisa Kleven, I Want to Paint My Bathroom Blue by Ruth Krauss and Maurice Sendak, Jeremy Draws a Monster by Peter McCarty, How to Paint the Portrait of a Bird by Jacques Prevert and Mordicai Gerstein.
© Deborah Freedman
Make a Snow Chicken
Have you ever wondered how your favorite author's or illustrator's name is pronounced? TeachingBooks.net has a huge collection of brief recordings of authors & illustrators saying their names. It includes my own thirty-seven second story - about a shy first-grader and her name.